Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Journal Entry 9/23/2009

The experiences that I'm forced to enter in Multi-Ethnic have been, for the most part, painless things. Now, I used the word 'forced.' Does that mean that it is something that I do not want to do or would not see myself doing were it not for this requirement in the Print track?

I would say probably, yes. Without any sort of self-aggrandizing or exaggeration, I have had very unique situations in my life that have exposed to me to a wide range of people. Growing up the son of a musician and a dancer, I have spent countless hours of my youth in the theater, meeting tons of different people from all over the world. My father has dragged me through some pretty run down and sketchy neighborhoods, so from a young age I've become accustomed to being in 'ghettos.' So really, I don't feel too awkward when meeting new people in those circumstances.

The impressions I had going into this class were to find the weaknesses in those thoughts. From what everybody told me going in, I would find that I was an unintentional bigot and that I really knew nothing about different cultures. After my first listening post, I wouldn't say that is entirely correct, but I definitely didn't know as much as I thought.

Listening to other people in class talk about their experiences makes me feel better. I can see that some of them are going through the same difficulty and confusion that I am. It's not that I'm glad that people are having a difficult time of it, but it's nice to know that I'm not the only one that has had some trouble.

It's also great to hear about the positive experiences that other students have had. They're stories are pretty interesting and it's nice to know that not everybody is having a hard time of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment